Monday, August 25, 2014

Welcome Back Day!

Every year, our district hosts a huge Welcome Back Day for the entire faculty.  From custodians to administrators, I love how everyone gets together to kick off each new school year.  It's nice to have everyone all together, even for just a few hours.



In past years, the district has brought in some great speakers - including Yong Zhou, Will Richardson, and most recently, Kevin Honeycutt.  This year, however, the district did something new.  Thanks to Kevin Honeycutt's encouragement to "Live Out Loud,"  this year's Welcome Back Day theme was "Living Out Loud, One Year Later."  And this year's speakers were came from within our own community - the teachers of our own district.

Including me.

I think I had a momentary aneurism when I agreed to present.  To the whole district.  At once.

Yes, I've done presentations before.  I did four for the district this summer, and two at a summer EdCamp.  But those were smaller groups.  20-30 people at a time.  Not a whole district.  At the same time.  In a gymnasium.  With a banner.  That you run through.  Seriously.

But, knowing that I was more nervous for this than any other experience or presentation, I found something that scared me more.

I went sky diving.  (And I didn't tell anyone!)

And this morning at 7:45am, I would have rather been sky diving instead of setting up for the big share.  At least I was one of five presentations.  That made me feel better.  Sorta.

However, when all was said and done, even though I was still trembling five hours after presenting, it was actually really fun to share my passion with my district.  And yes, I would do it again.

For those who want to see the presentation, I'll post the link when I get it.  In the mean time, enjoy the dive...







No comments:

Post a Comment